The curriculum at Emmanuel-St. Michael Lutheran School promotes a variety of experiences that help us achieve our motto of “education for life, faith for eternity.” ESM is accredited by both the State of Indiana and National Lutheran Schools Accreditation. The high standards of our accrediting bodies help drive the goals we set for curriculum in our school. The Indiana Academic Standards provide a starting point for academic instruction. Our teachers provide experiences that help students reach their personal best as they consider the promise of Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”. Each subject area is enhanced by the inclusion of the faith and the truths of Scripture.
Full-time faculty at Emmanuel-St. Michael are licensed by the State of Indiana, and are required to have or obtain additional Lutheran teacher diplomas. Our faculty jointly participates in annual professional development, promoting excellence for our school as a whole. Teachers have opportunities for professional development in their subject or specialty areas, as well. We are blessed with teachers who possess a variety of interests and talents that enhance the curriculum at all levels.
The rigorous academics, service opportunities, and extracurricular activities offered at ESM provide our students with a strong foundation as they move on to high school. Our graduates have been recognized as outstanding scholars at Concordia Lutheran High School and other area high schools.
Some opportunities for students at ESM include:
- Accelerated Reader and Accelerated Math programs
- Spanish, Sign Language, Set Design, and other electives available in grades 6-8
- Junior Achievement
- Concordia High School Math and Science Adventure, grades 6-8
- Indiana Science Initiative program used K-8
- Macbooks, iPads, or Chromebooks available to all students
- One School, One Book program sponsored annually by PTL to promote family literacy
- Eighth grade class trip to Washington, D.C.
- Off-campus learning opportunities for all grade levels
- Music and Art instruction
- Band instruction
- Musicals, including an option for grades 6-8 to participate in the all Lutheran Schools Musical